I’m Tebowing as I write this right now. What a weak. That’s no misprint, I was referring to my weak survival picks and picks vs the spread I provided for Week 8. While 50% is ok (no harm, no foul) in picking against the spread, 1-2 isn’t going to get it done with survival picks. The Saints inexplicably lost to the Rams and instead of “Yes we Cam”, the weak Carolina defense was exposed by the Vikings. I promise to have some better advice next week. Cam’t win ’em all.
No messing around, let’s jump right into it.
Week 8 Fantasy Studs
1. LeSean McCoy RB PHI 200 total yards/2 TDs, made swiss cheese out of the Dallas defense
2. Steven Jackson RB STL 181 total yards/2 TDs
3. Ray Rice RB BAL 99 total yards/7 rec/3 TDs, he promised to bounce back and delivered
4. Adrian Peterson RB MIN 162 total yards/5 rec/2 TDs
5. Cam Newton QB CAR 290 passing/3 TD/0 INT/53 rushing/2 Fum Lost
6. Calvin Johnson WR DET 6 rec/125 yards/1 TD
7. Fred Jackson RB BUF 194 total yards, guy is an absolute monster
8. Frank Gore RB SF 134 rushing/1 TD
9. Steve Smith WR CAR 112 total yards/7 rec/1 TD, Newton has brought his career back to life
10. Detroit DST 10 PA/7 Sack/1 INT/2 Fum Rec/2 TD, made Tebow look silly
Honorable Mention: Arian Foster RB Hou, Matthew Stafford QB DET, Buffalo DST, Laurent Robinson WR DA, Ben Roethlisberger QB PIT
Week 8 Fantasy Duds:
1. Ryan Torain RB WAS 20 total yards/0 TD
2. Miles Austin WR DAL 3 rec/27 yards/0 TD
3. Dez Bryant WR DAL 3 rec/28 yards/0 TD
4. Jason Witten TE DAL 4 rec/28 yards/0 TD, Dallas’ stars were held in check this week
5. Vernon Davis TE SF 3 rec/28 yards
6. Chris Johnson RB TEN 51 total yards
7. Wes Welker WR NE 6 rec/39 yards
8. Marques Colston WR NO 3 rec/50 yards
9. Drew Brees QB NO 269 passing/1 TD/2 INT, lost to a miserable team
10. Philip Rivers QB SD game isn’t over yet, but watching him so far he looks miserable
It was actually difficult to find duds this week. There were a lot of mediocre performances, but not many in the top 75 projected that you could call a dud. I almost put Brandon Jacobs RB NYG on there for managing only 10 yards, but no one starts Jacobs (and no one should).
Must Ad: Javon Ringer RB TEN, Chris Ogbonnaya RB CLE, Jonathan Baldwin WR KC
Must Drop: Montario Hardesty RB CLE (out for season)
Keep an Eye on: Tashard Choice RB WAS (cut by Dallas, immediately claimed by Washington), Laurent Robinson WR DAL (talented but there isn’t a lot of ball to go around in Big D)
As we go further and further into the season, the waiver wire becomes more thin. If Peyton Hillis is healthy, it’s time for him to contribute. I just don’t think he’s healthy at all as the Madden Curse continues.
BUY: Cam Newton QB CAR, Steve Smith WR CAR, Calvin Johnson WR DET, LeSean McCoy RB PHI, Ray Rice RB BAL, Fred Jackson RB BUF
SELL: Tim Tebow QB DEN, Philip Rivers QB SD (just hasn’t looked like himself this season), Frank Gore RB SF (has put together a string of solid games, tweaked his ankle in Week 8, sell him on the HIGH!)
HOLD: Wes Welker WR NE, Brent Celek TE PHI (bad week for Wes, good week for Celek. Expect a flip-flop for both guys next game)
That wraps it up for Week 8. As good as Cam Newton has been, he hasn’t figured out a way to keep his defense off the field long enough to win games. Awesome fantasy quarterback will only get better as the year goes on.
As for survival picks, again, I’m sorry. Bookies were licking their chops this week as NO ONE saw that St Louis upset coming. If you lost your survival league due to picking New Orleans, you weren’t alone. My advice from here on out is to pick whoever is playing Indianapolis or Miami. They are in full suck-for-Luck mode (yes, even Indy). That means go with Kansas City vs Miami or Atlanta @ Indianapolis. I also like San Francisco @ Washington and Houston vs Cleveland. Good luck.