Lisfranc fracture. If you asked me what that was on Saturday, I’d guess a broken finger (and I’d be way off). Thanks to Matt Schaub’s QB HOU season ending foot injury, I’ve learned something new. Who said football wasn’t educational?
Schaub wasn’t the only impact player hurt this weekend. As ESPN’s John Clayton reports, 14 players suffered season ending injuries in Week 10. Luckily for fantasy football managers only a handful of those players play positions used in standard leagues. Along with Schaub, Knowshon Moreno RB DEN is out for the year with a torn ACL, Matt Cassel QB KC suffered a hand injury that requires surgery. All 3 guys can be dropped from fantasy teams immediately.
Several other players suffered injuries that may linger for the next couple of weeks. Michael Vick QB PHI broke 2 ribs. Jeremy Maclin WR PHI aggravated a hamstring injury. Frank Gore RB SF hurt his knee AND his ankle. AJ Green WR CIN injured his knee on a TD catch, MRI results were negative. Julio Jones WR HOU injured his hamstring as well as did Willis McGahee RB DEN. Calvin Johnson WR DET suffered a mild concussion. DeMarco Murray RB DAL had a huge game, but injured his shoulder in the process. You’ll want to check up on all of these guys before setting your lineups for the next few weeks.
Our Studs List will be updated post MNF as I’m sure Rodgers QB GB will have a huge game. Adrian Peterson RB MIN would be a lock for the Stud List every week if the Vikings would wake up and get him the ball, but we’ll have to wait and see (as I’m writing this, Randall Cobb WR GB takes a punt return 80 yards to the heezy)
Week 10 Studs
1. Arian Foster RB HOU 186 total yards/2 TDs, unquestionably the #1 fantasy football pick next year
2. Michael Bush RB OAK 242 total yards/1 TD, party seems to be over with McFadden RB OAK set to return
3. Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 7 rec/146 yards/2 TDs, huge game, finding his stride with Skelton QB ARI at the helm
4. Rob Gronkowski TE NE 8 rec/113 yards/2 TDs, NE TE’s are fantasy gold
5. Denarius Moore WR OAK 5 rec/123 yards/2 TDs, great game, will get targets with all the WR injuries in Oakland
6. DeMarco Murray RB DAL 171 total yards/1 TD/6 rec, hope that shoulder is OK
7. Chris Johnson RB TEN 174 total yards/1 TD, flashes of his old self
8. Ed Dickson TE BAL 10 rec/79 yards/2 TDs, came out of hibernation
9. Tom Brady QB NE 329 passing/3 TD/0 INT, there was no way NE was losing to NY teams back to back
10. Marshawn Lynch RB SEA 167 total yards/1 TD/5 rec, one of the best ankle breaking moves of the season
UPDATE: Aaron Rodgers QB GB 250 passing/4 TDs/0 INTs
I seriously watched that Marshawn Lynch clip about 50 times. It was a huge play to keep the clock running and the drive alive to close out the upset. BEAST MODE!!!
Week 10 Fantasy Duds
1. David Reed WR BAL 16 rush yards/2 FL, not starting on anyone’s team but c’mon man!!! single handedly cost Baltimore the game.
2. Frank Gore RB SF 1 rec/8 yards, injured ankle and knee.
3. Jeremy Maclin WR PHI 2 rec/6 yards, injured shoulder then injured hamstring
4. Darren Sproles RB NO 4 rec/3 total yards/0 TD
5.Stevie Johnson WR BUF 2 rec/8 yards
6. Willis McGahee RB DEN 17 yards/0 TD, injured hamstring
7. Dwayne Bowe RE KC 2 rec/17 yards/0 TD
8. Vincent Jackson WR SD 1 rec/22 yards/0 TD
9. LeGarrette Blount RB TB 34 yards/0 TD, one of the most disappointing players in fantasy this year
10. Jay Cutler QB CHI 123 passing/18 rushing/0 TD/1 FL
I’d also like to express my personal hatred for DeSean Jackson WR PHI, DNP. He was benched for missing a team meeting on Saturday. While ESPN reported it at around 8:30 AM Sunday morning, I failed to check my lineup and lost a pivotal matchup while keeping Jackson in my flex spot. I now have an alarm scheduled to go off 15 minutes before gametime every Sunday.
With all the injuries, the waiver wire should be active this week. Unfortunately for Matt Schaub owners the backup is Matt Leinart QB HOU
Must Add: Lance Ball RB DEN, Kendall Hunter RB SF, Laurent Robinson WR DAL, Damian Williams WR TEN, Ed Dickson TE BAL
Must Drop: Knowshon Moreno RB DEN, Matt Schaub QB HOU, Matt Cassel QB KC
Keep an Eye On: Matt Leinart QB HOU, Carson Palmer QB OAK, Denarius Moore WR OAK, Chad Ochocinco WR NE
BUY: Drew Brees QB NO, Aaron Rodgers QB GB, Tom Brady QB NE, LeSean McCoy RB PHI, DeMarco Murray RB DAL, Arian Foster RB HOU, Ray Rice RB BAL, Matt Forte RB CHI, Jimmy Graham TE NO, Rob Gronkowski TE NE
SELL: Michael Vick QB PHI (I’ve given up on Philly, except for McCoy), DeSean Jackson WR PHI, Peyton Hillis RB CLE, LeGarrette Blount RB TB
HOLD: Chad Ochocinco WR NE (not worth picking up just yet), Jeremy Maclin WR PHI, Matt Leinart QB HOU
With a 1-2 pick suggestion week I’m going to abstain from further survival advice. My league (as did many leagues) ended this week with several upsets. Arizona toppled Philly, Seattle beat Baltimore but Jacksonville did manage to beat the hapless Colts. So my advice if you’re still in a league? Pick whoever’s playing the Colts. They are in full suck-for-Luck mode, and if they happen to win a game you better believe your survival league will be over.