After 40 sleepless hours in Las Vegas I got back to my apartment in Chicago at around 2:30 PM on Sunday. While I missed the first batch of games, I powered through the rest of the weekend in order to bring you the fantasy football rundown you’ve come to love (or hate, depending whether or not you traded away Fred Jackson RB BUF like I did early this season). My advice for survival picks wasn’t perfect again, but I gave you 4 choices and came through on 3 of them. Let’s jump right in to our top performers for Week 9.
Week 9 Fantasy Studs
1. Vincent Jackson WR SD 7 rec/141 yards/3 TDs, knew the game would be a shootout, VJax was the main beneficiary.
2. Aaron Rodgers QB GB 247 passing/4 TDs/0 INTs/52 rushing, absolutely ELITE QB.
3. Julio Jones WR ATL 3 rec/164 total yards/2 TDs, Rodney (sic, a la Suh) White who?
4. Willis McGahee RB DEN 163 rushing/2 TDs, safe to say Moreno RB DEN is a bust
5. Arian Foster RB TEX 150 total yards/1 TD/5 rec
6. Mike Tolbert RB SD 142 total yards/4 rec 1 TD, takes turns with Ryan Mathews RB SD getting injured
7. Reggie Bush RB MIA 142 total yards/1 TD/3 rec, that’s 3 good games in a row for Bush
8. Marshawn Lynch RB SEA 143 total yards/1 TD/1 rec, don’t expect beast-mode every week
9. Philip Rivers QB SD 385 passing/4 TDs/3 INTs, somewhere Jay Cutler QB CHI is smiling
10. Rob Gronkowski TE NE 8 rec/101 yards/1 TD
While the Monday Night game put up a decent amount of points, there were no studs to emerge as turnovers put a damper on a big day from Matt Forte RB CHI (2 FL). He’s far and away the best player on the team and will be vital to their success going forward. Now for this week’s duds.
Week 9 Fantasy Duds
1. Delone Carter RB IND 8 rushing/0 TD/1 FL, if you get negative points and people started you, you top the Dud list
2. Ryan Torain RB WAS 9 total yards
3. Daniel Thomas RB MIA 12 yards/0 TD
4. Michael Vick QB PHI 213 passing/0 TD/1 INT/ 34 rushing, disappointing season thusfar
5. Ryan Fitzpatrick QB BUF 191 passing/1 TD/2 INT/1 2pt
6. Matt Schaub QB HOU 119 passing/1 INT/1 rushing TD
7. DeSean Jackson WR PHI 2 rec/26 total yards/1 FL
8. Vernon Davis TE SF 4 rec/41 yards/1 FL
9. Pierre Garcon WR IND 3 rec/22 yards
10. Beanie Wells RB ARI 33 total yards/0 TD
DeSean Jackson WR PHI and Michael Vick QB PHI have been two of the most disappointing players in fantasy football so far this season. While Jackson sits as the 29th overall ranked WR, Vick comes in at #8 on the QB list. With ADPs (average draft positions) of 28 for Jackson and 6 for Vick, these guys are most likely killing your team. While I don’t advise giving up on Vick, it’s past time to trade Jackson.
Let’s take a look at the waiver wire.
Must Add: Roy Helu RB WAS, Laurent Robinson WR DAL
Must Drop: none
Keep an Eye on: Jacoby Ford WR OAK, Carson Palmer QB OAK
Waiver wire is thin, but those two guys (if available) are MUST adds for sure. I told you Helu RB WAS would take over at some point in Washington and the time is now. He had a huge week and should continue to produce. With Miles Austin WR DAL out for another 2-4 weeks, Robinson WR DAL has emerged as Romo’s favorite target. Get these guys and get them active, pronto.
BUY: Roy Helu RB WAS, Laurent Robinson WR DAL, Cam Newton QB CAR, Calvin Johnson WR DET, Aaron Rodgers QB GB, LeSean McCoy RB PHI, Ray Rice RB BAL, Matt Forte RB CHI, DeMarco Murray RB DAL, Steven Jackson RB STL
SELL: DeSean Jackson WR PHI, Miles Austin WR DAL, Chris Johnson RB TEN, Peyton Hillis RB CLE, Knowshon Moreno RB DEN, Chad Ochocinco WR NE, anyone on Indianapolis
HOLD: Michael Vick QB PHI, Ryan Fitzpatrick QB BUF
There are no byes in week 10. Get your star players in and expect a big fantasy scoring week. Byes resume next week though, be aware of that. As for survivor picks, I like Baltimore over Seattle, Kansas City rebounds VS Denver and Jacksonville (yes, one of the worst teams in the league) over Indianapolis. It’s a tough week, there are so many good matchups that are going to be close games. Good luck.