If there’s something to take away from the first 2 weeks of the NFL season it’s that defenses have a lot of catching up to do. Offenses across the league (with the exception of Kansas City, Seattle and Jacksonville) have been having a free-for-all. Bet the over in every single game next week and stack ‘dem chips.
Before we move on to this week’s recap, lets take a quick look at how my advice panned out last week. 3-0 in pick ’em. Must Adds Newton, Fitzpatrick, Henderson and Tate had awesome weeks, and after another TD, Keep an Eye on Scott Chandler TE BUF is being upgraded to an add.
In the past, my weekly studs and duds merely had to meet certain criteria. Studs were any position player scoring multiple TDs or going over 100 yards and QB’s with 300+ yards and multiple TDs. Duds were players projected in the top 75 who failed to deliver solid performances. If I kept those same standards there’d be over 30 studs this week. So due to defenses taking Week 2 off, from here on out I’ll be limiting the studs and duds to top ten lists.
Week 2 Fantasy Studs:
1. Miles Austin WR DAL 9 rec/141 total yards/3 TDs (aggravated hamstring injury in the process)
2. Jeremy Maclin WR PHI 13 rec/172 total yards/2 TDs, confirmed does not have AIDS
3. Vincent Jackson WR SD 10 rec/172 yards/2 TDs
4. Adrian Peterson RB MIN 141 total yards/2 TDs, showed why he should have had the #1 ADP
5. Fred Jackson RB BUF 140 total yards/2 TDs, must have seen my SELL rating and took it to heart
6. Darren McFadden RB OAK 7 rec/143 total yards/2 TD/ 1 FL
7. Tom Brady QB NE 423 passing yards/3 TD/0 INT, no signs of slowing down
8. Jahvid Best RB DET 6 rec/123 total yards/2 TDs
9. LeSean McCoy RB PHI 116 total yards/2 TDs
10. Denarius Moore WR OAK 5 rec/171 total yards/1 TD
Honorable Mention: Rob Gronkowski TE NE, Tony Gonzalez TE ATL, Cam Newton QB CAR, Steve Smith WR CAR, Eric Decker WR DEN, Peyton Hillis RB CLE, Michael Turner RB ATL, Kenny Britt WR TEN, Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI, NYJ DST, DET DST
Week 2 Fantasy Duds:
1. Antonio Gates TE SD 0 rec/0 yards, was double covered the entire game
2. Jamaal Charles RB KC 27 total yards/1 torn ACL. Hope you handcuffed with McCluster
3. Matt Cassel QB KC 133 passing yards/0 TD/3 INT/1 FL. That’s negative fantasy points. Yikes
4. Reggie Bush RB MIA 21 total yards
5. DeSean Jackson WR PHI 2 rec/21 yards
6. Ladanian Tomlinson RB NYJ 15 total yards
7. Felix Jones RB DAL 30 total yards
8. Arian Foster RB HOU 40 total yards, reaggravated groin injury.
9. Danny Woodhead RB NE 27 total yards/ 1 2pt conversion
10. Joe Flacco QB BAL 197 passing yards/1 TD/2 INT
Hope you like the new format. More info per player, less clutter. Moving on to the Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Watch:
Must Add: Dexter McCluster RB KC (will be the most popular pickup, but don’t expect him to be a savior KC still sucks), Denarius Moore WR OAK (Raiders are injured at WR, good for a plug and play), Dustin Keller TE NYJ, Scott Chandler TE BUF, Devery Henderson WR NO (told you to jump on this guy last week, still available in 65% of yahoo leagues), Willis McGahee RB BAL (how is he still available in 56% of yahoo leagues???),
Must Drop: Jamaal Charles RB KC (torn ACL, out for the season), Marcedes Lewis TE JAX (QB situation in JAX is just abysmal), Matt Cassel QB KC (his receivers can’t catch, at least 2 out of 3 INTs weren’t his fault)
Keep an Eye on: Eric Decker WR DEN, Fred Davis TE WAS (2 productive weeks in a row, Grossman is leaning on this guy), David Nelson WR BUF (add if Stevie Johnson WR BUF is set to miss time), Jerome Simpson WR CIN (rookie QB looking at him and AJ Green WR CIN only it seems), Thomas Jones RB KC (a lot of other fantasy “gurus” calling him a must add with Charles out for the season. McCluster is the guy. It’d be irresponsible for me to recommend any RB who’s 2nd on the depth chart for one of the worst teams in the league)
BUY: Cam Newton QB CAR, Steve Smith WR CAR, Tom Brady QB NE, LeSean McCoy RB PHI, Kenny Britt WR TEN, Ray Rice RB BAL, Drew Brees QB NO, Matt Forte RB CHI, Wes Welker WR NE, Rob Gronkowski TE NE, Calvin Johnson WR DET, Adrian Peterson RB MIN, Devery Henderson WR NO, Vincent Jackson WR SD, Jason Witten TE DAL, Willis McGahee RB DEN, Mike Wallace WR PIT
SELL: Dwayne Bowe WR KC (ADP inflated because of TD total last year, I’d be surprised if he matches half of it), Aaron Hernandez TE ME (sprained MCL could miss significant time) Reggie Wayne WR IND, Fred Jackson RB BUF (he had an awesome Week 2, sell him on the HIGH!), Kellen Winslow TE CLE (marginal player- there are better options emerging), Arian Foster RB HOU (that injury will linger all season, see what you can get for him), Felix Jones RB DAL, Shonn Greene RB NYJ
HOLD: Michael Vick QB PHI (concussion will keep him out a week most likely, he’s still a QB and RB in one and a top 3 choice), Chris Johson RB TEN (almost time to panic. Not quite yet though), Roddy White WR ATL (a top tier talent who faced 2 very tough defenses so far),
That about wraps it up for Week 2. For your Week 3 Survivor picks, lock in San Diego vs KC (could be a 30 point rout). I also like Pittsburgh over Indianapolis. If you want to roll the dice you could go with Carolina over Jacksonville, but that’s playing with fire.