ast night, one of the deepest NBA drafts in years concluded and Total Sports Blog is here to break down the highlights of what happened. Your homie, Baggydizzle, has you covered from Andrew Wiggins to Zach Lavine.
– Andrew Wiggins gets selected first overall by the Cleveland Cavs. I sort of expected the Cavs to mess up this pick considering the fact that they have a recent history of screwing up top 5 picks (Dion Waiters & Anthony Bennett). They made the right pick here considering Wiggins can definitely help them now (especially defensively) and can combine that with the fact that he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. However, the biggest takeaway from this is Andrew Wiggins’ suit. On a night where a lot of the draftees pushed the envelope when it came to their fashion choices, Wiggins decided to take it to the limit in trying to look like he was rocking the black Spiderman costume from Spiderman 3.
Sheesh, why did Wiggins let a 5 year old take chalk to his blackboard suit? My favorite reaction on the internet to Wiggins’ wardrobe?
— Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo) June 27, 2014
– I’m still trying to understand Joel Embiid’s reaction to getting drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers. It’s a combination between the “I’m doing pull ups” celebration and “I’m tilting my head back because someone is giving me the heimlich” celebration. He also looks like he might have added a super villain’s laugh for all I know but ESPN didn’t have any mics on in his room when they were recording him celebrate. They clearly dropped the ball.
– Dante Exum as a player impresses me. His Australian accent impresses me even more. I fully expect him to re-enact the “That’s not a knife. THIS is a knife” scene from Crocodile Dundee at some point during the 2015 NBA season.
– This is the most desperate photo of an NBA war room that I’ve ever seen. Derek Fisher looking wide eyed at what I assume is a TV monitor….still in disbelief like “WAIT, WE STILL DON’T HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK?” Steve Mills still can’t believe he has a job while caressing an invisible fu man chu that only he knows about. And then there’s Phil. He’s looking straight at the camera with a look of “I don’t care what happens because I got paid”. The New York Knicks everyone!
– Apologies to the Stauskas clan. The Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff still have better secret handshakes.
— FanSided GIF (@FanSidedGIF) June 27, 2014
– Noah Vonleh’s hands are almost as legendary as Kawhi Leonard’s. One of his hands engulfs Jay Williams’ hand. Jay Williams used to play basketball. Look at that gif! It’s like Vonleh’s hand has a mind of it’s own. He can’t even control it! https://web.archive.org/web/20151127193657if_/http://www.youtube.com/embed/3RAmHBWVVQo?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&autohide=2&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent– In what was probably the most touching and classiest moment of the NBA draft last night, Adam Silver gave Isaiah Austin his moment to get drafted by the NBA after he learned during the draft process that his career was over because of sarfan syndrome. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Is there a better commissioner in sports right now, aside from Silver? I feel as if there were reports that he could walk on water and then turn it into wine afterwards, I’d believe them. I actually have sources that verify this. Anyways, this is why the NBA is the best league in the world.
– With the 13th pick of the NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves selected Zach LaVine. Zach responded by getting up and mouthing something to his agent. It doesn’t take an expert lip reader to figure out that he said “Fuck me” and with this bit of knowledge, this has stopped becoming a PG blog post. Minnesota can’t be that bad of a place to live, can it?
— FanSided GIF (@FanSidedGIF) June 27, 2014
– Check out Nurkic’s fresh cut! These euro basketball players are getting Americanized once they touch down on our soil. It’s like once they get off the plane, they’ve been exposed to haircut AIDS or something.
– That was the look on Bill Simmons’ face right after it was announced that the rights of Shabazz Napier was traded to the Miami Heat with the comment “I’m tired of other teams helping the Miami Heat”. I feel like Simmons makes a fool of himself on TV quite often but I have to agree with him here.
– This was Bill Simmons reaction after the Boston Celtics selected James Young Jr. (shakes head). That is such a “50 year old American Dad” fist bump. I half expected him to say “golly gee willickers” after that atrocity. Keep it in your pants, Simmons. Have some self control, for god’s sake.
– Perfect way to conclude an NBA Draft blog post or THE most perfect way to conclude an NBA Draft blog post? Zach LaVine thanks you, Tom Penn.