Millions of fantasy football leagues crowned their champions this week, and I have a feeling Drew Brees QB NO was on a high percentage of those teams. With 11 playoff TD passes (2,5,4) there wasn’t another more consistent, dominating performer in the essential Week 14-16 span. Aaron Rodgers QB GB had a huge day on Sunday as well (5 TDs) but he takes a back seat to Brees when it comes to fantasy playoff MVPs. Both stud QB’s should be off the board before the middle of the 2nd round in next year’s drafts.
Let’s take a look at the top performers for the championship week:
Week 16 Fantasy Studs:
1. Aaron Rodgers QB GB 283 passing/5 TDs/0 INT, one of the best seasons from a QB ever.
2. Cam Newton QB CAR 171 passing/3 TDs/65 rushing/1 TD, what a year for the rookie QB
3. Jordy Nelson WR GB 6 rec/115 yards/2 TDs
4. Jared Cook TE TEN 8 rec/169 yards/1 TD, might be worth a look on draft day next year
5. Drew Brees QB NO 307 passing/4 TDs/2 INTs, broke the single season passing record with a game to go
6. Arian Foster RB HOU 174 total yards/1 TD
7. Victor Cruz WR NYG 3 rec/164 yards/1 TD
8. Tom Brady QB NE 304 passing/1 TD/17 rushing/2 TDs, you don’t see many rushing scores out of Tom Terrific
9. Brandon Marshall WR MIA 7 rec/156 yards/1 TD
10. Matthew Stafford QB DET 373 passing/3 TDs/o INTs, consider him an elite talent as long as Megatron is on the Detroit roster.
Week 16 Fantasy Duds
1. Tony Romo QB DAL 0 stats, busted up hand. Can’t believe it’s not broken.
2. LeGarrette Blount RB TB 11 total yards, I am avoiding this guy like the plague next year
3. Cedric Benson RB CIN 65 total yards/0 TD/2 FL
4. Hakeem Nicks WR NYG 1 rec/20 yards
5. Brandon Lloyd WR STL 3 rec/29 yards
6. LeSean McCoy RB PHI 45 total yards/0 TD, miserable game out of a player who killed it all year
7. Jason Witten TE DAL 4 rec/24 yards
8. AJ Green WR CIN 2 rec/50 total yards, solid year but a sour end for the rookie wideout
9. Antonio Gates TE SD 4 rec/40 yards, consider the torch passed to Gronk TE NE and Graham TE NO
10. Ryan Fitzpatrick QB BUF 196 yards/0 TD/0 INT/22 rushing. If you saw the box score for the Denver/Buffalo game you’d expect huge numbers. Nope.
2011 Fantasy Playoff First Team
QB Drew Brees NO
RB1 Maurice Jones-Drew JAX
RB2 Marshawn Lynch SEA
WR1 Roddy White ATL
WR2 Julio Jones ATL
WR3 Calvin Johnson DET (semifinals performance was dominating)
Flex Ray Rice RB BAL
TE Rob Gronkowski NE
K Graham Gano WAS
While I try to keep the focus purely Fantasy based, I must express my displeasure of the NFL leaving Cam Newton QB CAR out of the probowl in favor of Eli Manning. Yes, Eli had a good year but Cam was amazing, regardless of his team’s record. The best season by a rookie QB ever in my opinion deserves some sort of accolade, and Cam was robbed.
Congrats to all the winners this year. This is my last fantasy football post for 2011 and I hope you’ve enjoyed the info. I’ll be putting out a draft preview in August for the 2012 season.