I knew there was going to be a Walking Dead marathon all day Sunday, but I didn’t know it’d be on CBS, FOX and ESPN. While AMC was replaying the entire first season of last year’s cult hit series leading up to the Season 2 premier of the Walking Dead, NFL players (and a coach) were getting injured left and right. Jahvid Best RB DET suffered a concussion. Peyton Hillis RB CLE sat out a chunk of the game with a hamstring injury. Jason Campbell QB OAK broke his collar bone, out for the year. Felix Jones RB DAL suffered an ankle injury. Tim Hightower RB WAS and LeGarrette Blount RB TB are still dealing with lingering injuries, and Saints coach Sean Payton broke his leg and tore his MCL when Jimmy Graham TE NO came crashing into the sideline (Graham is ok, though). Yikes.
I hope you read the Week 6 Hook VS Earl NFL picks article before placing your bets this week. I’m 10-2 and Earl is 8-4 going into tonight’s game. That’s straight cash, homey. With stats like that you know I had to go 3-0 in survivor picks bringing me up to 14-1 on the year, but we’ll get back to that at the end of the article. Let’s jump into this week’s fantasy studs.
Week 6 Fantasy Studs
1. Ahmad Bradshaw RB NYG 130 total yards/3 TDs, vultured all 3 scores but a TD is a TD.
2. Michael Turner RB ATL 147 total yards/2 TDs, the burner has been solid all year
3. Fred Jackson RB BUF 168 total yards/5 rec/1 TD, making me eat my words week after week
4. Devin Hester WR CHI 5 rec/91 yards/1 TD/1 ret TD, why? Why do teams kick to this guy?
5. Aaron Rodgers QB GB 310 yards/3 TD/1 INT easiest matchup all year, but he’s a stud regardless
6. Frank Gore RB SF 146 total yards/1 TD, on a roll the past two weeks
7. Rashard Mendenhall RB PIT 146 yards/1 TD, huge 1st quarter, not much for the rest of the game against a very, very bad team.
8. LeSean McCoy 139 total yards/1 TD
9. Marques Colston WR NO 7 rec/118 yards/1 TD, I’m still not a fan. He’ll get 3 rec/40 yards next game
10. Billy Cundiff K BAL 5 FG (3 40-49 yards)/2 PAT, when your kicker gets you 20 points he deserves a place on this list (sorry Janikowski k OAK, I neglected you last week, won’t happen again)
Honorable Mention: Jordy Nelson WR GB, Ray Rice RB BAL, Jimmy Graham TE NO, Anquan Boldin WR BAL
This was a low-scoring week in fantasy overall. I’m in an 83 to 71 nail biter going into MNF myself. Which means, we’re sure to have plenty of duds
Week 6 Fantasy Duds
1. Pierre Thomas RB NO 16 total yards/FL bumped up to #1 due to my personal hatred, started him in the RB2 spot due to bye week issues. Yes, that’s negative points
2. Peyton Hillis RB CLE 14 yards. Madden curse has set in, hammy injury for the bulldozer
3. Vernon Davis TE SF 2 rec/8 yards, miserable game as a result of…
4. Alex Smith QB SF 125 yards/1 TD/1 INT, you’re probably not starting Alex Smith and this is exactly why
5. Roddy White WR ATL 2 rec/21 yards, not what you want from your WR1 but he’s dealing with injuries
6. Jermicheal Finley TE GB 1 rec/20 yards, the WR on GB were getting all the love on Sunday
7. Ryan Torain RB WAS 22 yards, do yourself a favor and don’t start any WAS RB
8. DeAngelo Williams RB CAR 46 total yards, another mediocre game from someone who’s fallen from grace so fast in the past 2 years
9. Santana Moss WR WAS 2 rec/38 yards, it’s really not his fault, Grossman QB WAS is worse than a lot of team’s backups
10. Victor Cruz WR NYG 2 rec/12 yards, Manningham WR NYG is back, Cruz should be stashed deep on your bench
Big Ben almost made it back to the duds list. He didn’t have a horrible game, but he played Jacksonville and should have done better. I left Hightower RB WAS off the list because he didn’t play at all, even though he suited up. With all the injuries, there’s a few key pick-ups this week.
Must Add: DeMarco Murray RB DAL, Montario Hardesty RB CLE, Earnest Graham RB TB
Must Drop: Jason Campbell QB OAK, Mike Sims-Walker WR FA
Keep an Eye on: Brandon Lloyd WR STL, Chad Ochocinco WR NE
Moving on to the rising and declining fantasy players in this week’s Buy/Sell/Hold.
BUY: Calvin Johnson WR DET, Fred Jackson RB BUF (can I have him back, pretty please?), Aaron Rodgers QB GB, Cam Newton QB CAR (doesn’t win games, but helps win fantasy), Matt Forte RB CHI (has been looking great), Frank Gore RB SF (on a tear, will continue til he gets injured…which will happen), Adrian Peterson RB MIN (their team is obviously in the “suck for Luck” sweepstakes)
SELL: Chad Ochocinco WR NE (Trade rumors swirling, it’s time to cut ties with this guy. Trade him for whatever you can get), Peyton Hillis RB CLE (first its strep throat, then contract disputes, now a hammy injury. Enough is enough), Chris Johnson RB TEN (why didn’t Tennessee make a play for Brandon Lloyd WR STL???), Brandon Lloyd WR STL (traded from Denver for a 6th round draft pick), Mike Sims-Walker WR FA (Dropped by STL with the acquisition of Lloyd), Felix Jones RB DAL (could be out as long as 4 weeks), Knowshon Moreno RB DEN (what a BUST), Shonn Greene RB NYJ (I’m not confident he belongs in the NFL, period).
HOLD: DeSean Jackson WR PHI (I’m losing my patience here, one more bad week and he’s a sale), BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB NE (was playing injured this week)
I’m watching the Dolphins/Jets game and all I can say is thank GOD New York came to their senses and paid Darrelle Revis CB NYJ. Without him they wouldn’t have a shot in this game. As stated previously, I’m 14-1 on the year with survivor picks. I know it only takes 1 loss and you’re out, but I’m giving you several choices each week and my go-to picks have been money each time. Going into Week 7 you cannot lose with Dallas at home VS Saint Louis. Lock it in. I also like New Orleans over Indianapolis and Baltimore on Monday Night over Jacksonville. Be sure to check out Hook VS Earl every week too for our picks VS the spread.